How to Care for a Chopping Board
There's a few things you can do to maintain the life of your board.
Moisture and Sunlight are the worst contributors to boards warping or bowing, here's our suggestions for minimising warping.
- Do not store in direct sunlight
- Handwash. Timber is not dishwasher friendly
- Do not leave to soak in water
- Clean with hot soapy water and towel dry
- Store upright or on its end to allow air circulation around the board
If your board has warped, ensure your board is completely dry then simply lay it flat with the bowed side up and allow gravity and a bit of patience to do its thing. You can place something heavy on the board, but ultimately it does need some time.
Seasoning or protecting your board will enhance its lifetime and also help prevent warping. We suggest doing the following things at least every few months.
- Make sure your board is clean and 100% dry
- Rub surfaces with the cut half of a lemon or a paste mix of baking soda and white vinegar, leave to dry
- Rub liberally with Kcimory's food-safe timber wax or a mineral oil and wax blend.
- Leave for at least 8-hours before buffing with a clean dry cloth.
If you want to remove the knife marks and/or stains from your board, you can use an electric sander, start with 120 to 180grit and finish with a 320 or 400grit. Wipe away sanding dust and follow steps 3 and 4 above.
Posted: Friday 24 September 2021